Face masks have become part of a mandatory work uniform for many. Health professionals have been used to wearing face masks, but for many of us face masks are a new thing — and it can take time to adjust to wearing a face mask comfortably. My husband is a chiropractor, and wears a mask while treating patients. He mentioned the mask feels somewhat hot now that the temperature is warming up. That got me to thinking that an essential oil spray to cool off the skin and cleanse the air and mask would be just the thing. Make sure to use only pure essential oils (my top choice is doTERRA brand for the purest of oils). The best part is that the combination of face mask sprays you can make are endless — and you can tailor one to fit your needs!
I started with a glass spray bottle (never use essential oils in plastic containers — pure essential oils are potent and can break down the plastic). Next, I added about 2 tablespoons of an organic Witch Hazel. Witch Hazel is extracted from the Witch Hazel plant and distilled into a natural astringent that helps to gently cleanse and tone the skin. It also acts as an emulsifier, helping to keep the water and essential oil mixed. I then combined 10 drops of Peppermint and 10 drops of Bergamot essential oils and filled the container to the top with water.
Face Mask Cooling Spray
I added Peppermint, because it has cooling properties for the skin. It is also great for helping you feel energized and promotes clear breathing. Peppermint can also freshen your breath. I added Bergamot because it is known for easing stress and to help reduce feelings of negativity. Bergamot also has soothing and calming properties for your skin (and skin can often get irritated from coming into contact with the mask for long periods of time). This essential oil also has cleansing properties and has been studied for it’s effect on promoting a positive work place.
Make sure to shake your Face Mask Spray before each use to keep the oils and water mixed. Spray a few pumps on the inside and outside of your face mask. The inside is for your benefit, and the outside is for the benefit of those around you.
Essential Oils Beneficial For Face Masks
The combination of essential oils you could use are endless. A few great options include:
- Lavender: promote feelings of relaxation, and vitality, support a healthy immune function and protect from seasonal threats, and ease feelings of stress and tension. Also great to soothe irritated skin that rubs against a face mask.
- OnGuard: to cleanse and purify the air, to boost the immune system and protect against environmental threats.
- Breathe: help maintain clear airways and easy breathing and minimize the effects of seasonal threats. Some people report difficulty breathing through a mask, making Breathe a great option.
- Balance: promotes feelings of peace and tranquility and reduces stress throughout the day. This is a great option for stressful work environments and for people who have sensory issues with wearing a mask.
- Adaptiv: ease feelings of stress and helps create a sense of balance.
- Elevation: elevates your mood and helps create a positive and energizing environment.
- Citrus Bliss: helps reduce stress, create an energizing and uplifting mood and cleanses and purifies the air.
- Motivate: eases feeling of frustration at work and helps promote feelings of confidence, courage and belief.
- Peace: promotes feelings of peace, reassurance and contentment.
- Tea Tree: helps with acne breakouts from wearing a mask (nice to pair with a more pleasant smell such as Lavender or a citrus oil).
As you can see, the list is endless of essential oils that could make awesome spray misters for your face mask. If you try a combo that you love, or need recommendations on which oils would be best for you situation, please comment below or private message me. I hope you love these essential oil face mask sprays as much as we do!
Hugs & Health – Michelle