Essential oil rollerball remedies are convenient to use, inexpensive (and fun) to make and handy because you an adapt the recipe to fit your health needs. Learning to make your own rollerball blends will help you use and get the most out of your essential oils. It can seem overwhelming to new essential oilers, but it quickly become easy once you just get started. I often host rollerball making classes at my home in Hudson, Wisconsin, and this article will help those of you who can’t attend learn to easily make them in your homes.
The first step is to gather the necessary supplies. I like the 10 ml rollerballs, which you can purchase from doTERRA – or if you plan to make a lot of them, I recommend purchasing the Vivaplex brand from Amazon. You will also need a carrier oil — I prefer Fractionated Coconut Oil (FCO). FCO is similar to coconut oil, in that it is really good for your skin. The difference is that it remains a liquid at all temperatures, making it ideal for use in rollerball remedies. Essential oils for your desired remedy are the last thing you need. I recommend starting with the Healthy Start Kit, which comes with the Top 10 oils plus a diffuser. You can make a lot of common remedies with these handy oils!
Rollerball Blend Supplies
The most common question I get is, “How do I know how much essential oil to use?”. Here is a guide that shows the dilution ratio by age. You only need 1-3 drops of essential oil for an infant in a 10 ml roller, and yes, it is still effective! You can fill half the rollerball with essential oil for an adult, but I typically don’t use more than 40 drops. I find it is still effective, and just costs less money!
Rollerball Blend Recipes
We are all biochemically different, so there are unlimited choices for rollerball blends to make. Like medications, people sometimes need to try a few recipes to find just the right blend. I will give a few recipe choices for some common blends, so that you have a few to try for you and your family. These recipes will be diluted for adults, but you can use the above guideline to adapt for different ages. These blends also work great in a diffuser — just use the same ratios and scale back to 4-8 drops of essential oil in your diffuser!
- Restful Sleep Blends:
- 20 Drops Serenity, 10 Drops Vetiver, top with FCO. Apply to bottoms of feet or to palms and cup and inhale. This blend is also great in the middle of the night if you awaken thinking of tomorrow’s to-do list!
- 40 Drops Adaptiv, top with FCO. This new blend from doTERRA has been working great for me for sleep lately. It helps ease my stress, so I can relax and fall asleep. Apply to the bottoms of the feet or palms of hands.
- 20 Drops Lavender, 10 Drops Breathe, top with FCO. Apply to the bottoms of your feet, and especially the big toe (reflexology point). This blend is great for someone who snores.
- 20 Drops Serenity, 10 Drops Clary Sage, 5 Drops Ylang Ylang, top with FCO. Apply to bottoms of the feet, over your heart and/or palms of your hands. This blend is great for those who have hormonal issues around sleep, such as during menopause.
- Stress/Worry Blends:
- 40 Drops Adaptiv, top with FCO. This new blend from doTERRA also works great for those times when you feel stressed and busy. Apply to pulse points and palms of hands (cup and inhale).
- 15 Drops Balance, 10 Drops Copaiba, 5 Drops Vetiver, top with FCO. Apply to pulse points and palms of hands (cup and inhale).
- Joy Blends:
- 20 Drops Lemon, 10 Drops Frankincense, top with FCO. Apply to pulse points and over heart, and inhale from inner wrist.
- 40 Drops Elevation, top with FCO. Apply to pulse points and over heart, and inhale from inner wrist.
- 20 Drops Citrus Bliss, 10 Drops Frankincense, top with FCO. Apply to pulse points and over heart, and inhale from inner wrist.
- Immune Support Blends:
- 15 Drops OnGuard, 10 Drops Lemon, 5 Drops Frankincense, 5 Drops Tea Tree, top with FCO. Apply to bottoms of feet each morning (we set out at the breakfast table).
- 15 Drops OnGuard, 5 Drops Melissa, 5 Drops Pink Pepper, top with FCO. Apply to bottoms of feet each morning.
- 15 Drops OnGuard, 10 Drops Lemon, 10 Drops Oregano, top with FCO. Apply to bottoms of feet each morning. We switch to this blend when someone in our home is sick, or has been around someone who is sick.
- Aches & Pains Blends:
- 12 Drops Frankincense, 12 Drops Deep Blue, 12 Drops Copaiba and 12 Drops Marjoram, top with FCO. Apply to areas of pain. If you apply doTERRA’s Deep Blue Rub after this blend, it can offer more pain support.
- 15 Drops Wintergreen, 15 Drops Peppermint, 15 Drops Frankincense, top with FCO. Apply to areas of pain. Apply Deep Blue Rub after for more relief.
If you have questions on how to make or adapt any of these recipes for your family, message me or comment below. Making your own rollerball blends can be fun, is something the whole family can do together (helps empower your kids at a young age to naturally support their health goals), and makes them more cost effective, also. I hope you enjoy these recipes, and that you and your family enjoy great health in 2020.
Hugs & Health – Michelle