Sicknesses such as colds and flu tend to be more prevalent in winter. Theories as to why this occurs range from cold causing illness, to people passing germs because they spend more time inside. While I am not sure as to the reason, it has certainly tended to be true for our family.
My son, Danny used to be especially hard-hit in winter with illnesses. In the past he struggled with RSV, rota-virus (stomach flu), frequent ear infections, coughs, colds, influenza, strep throat and canker sores. Danny has a rare genetic disorder called Cohen Syndrome, and suffers from neutropenia, which is common for people with Cohen Syndrome. Basically, he has a low white blood cell count, and specifically, a low neutrophil count in his white blood cells. Your white blood cells are helpful in fighting off infections, so having a low count is less than ideal.
Winter Health Tips
We have tried many things to help Danny stay healthier in the winter (and all year long). The first thing we did was change his diet. He eats gluten-free, and very little processed food. We like to call it a “Real Food” diet. Danny also learned how to swallow pills, and takes a few high quality vitamins to supplement his healthy diet. Next we added essential oils for immune support to his regimen. Specifically, a blend I make with oils that are known to help support healthy immune function. Lastly, he gets a twice weekly injection of Neupogen, a prescription medication that helps stimulate neutrophils in his white blood cells.
I am happy to report that this regimen has helped Danny remain much healthier, and as a result, he is also much happier. On average, he used to miss 6-7 weeks of school/year due to illness. I am thrilled to report that Danny did not miss a single day of school last year (other than for a planned vacation). This has also led to me being sick less often, as we moms tend to get run down when our kids are sick. In fact, I caught a cold on the plane-ride home from Ireland earlier this month, and it is the first time I have been sick in 2 years!
Our Immune Support Protocol
- Immune Support Rollerball: I mix up a blend of 15 drops OnGuard, 10 drops Lemon, 5 drops
Frankincense, 5 drops Tea Tree (Melaleuca) and 5 drops of Copaiba essential oils in a 10 ml rollerball and top with Fractionated Coconut Oil (FCO). We set this out at the breakfast table each morning, and apply to the bottoms of our feet while we eat.
- Immune Bath Soak: Danny takes a bath every morning with 1 Cup Epsom Salts, 1/2 Cup Baking Soda and 2-3 drops OnGuard or Tea Tree Essential Oil. This is great for helping the body detox, which helps the immune system function optimally.
- Anti-oxidant/Healthy Cell Support: I put 20 drops of DDR Prime Essential Oil in a 10 ml roller and top with FCO. We apply this to Danny’s spine each morning and evening. This helps support cellular health.
- Supplementation: Danny takes 2 of each of the LifeLong Vitality Supplements with breakfast each morning. He also takes a Vitamin D supplement and PB Assist Probiotic.
- Diffuser Blends: We run a diffuser during the day, and vary what we put in the diffuser. We often combine Peppermint, Wild Orange and Frankincense to boost energy and help with concentration. If there seems to be a lot of illness going around, we diffuse OnGuard. Danny really likes the scent of Balance Essential Oil, so he often chooses that for his daytime diffuser. At night, we often diffuse Serenity to help promote relaxation for sleep. I am happy to report Danny now sleeps through the night (he used to wake frequently), and quality sleep is also great for immune support.
This protocol has been very helpful for Danny, and I hope and pray that you find it helpful for your family’s as well. If you have an immune support tip to share, I’d love to hear it in the comments. If you want help setting up an immune support protocol tailored to your needs, reach out – I am more than happy to help! Making rollerball blends is fun, easy, convenient and an inexpensive way to use your oils effectively. Want to learn how to make your own rollerball blends? Join my private Facebook group, or private message me!
Hugs & Health – Michelle