If you’re like my family in Hudson, Wisconsin, we like to do things to actively boost our immune system before the long, cold Wisconsin winter arrives. While I am not a winter-lover (probably because I don’t do any winter sports), I have always disliked that we feel unwell more often in the winter. One of my goals over the last two years has been to try to be more positive. With that in mind, I decided that we would proactively take steps to boost our immune system before the holiday season and try to enjoy winter more.
The guys in my family all ski (Danny does adaptive ski) or snowboard. I am afraid of trying skiing at my age, because I don’t want to get hurt, but I needed something personally to enjoy outdoors in winter. I asked for snowshoes for Christmas last year, and am happy to report I got some. Being active is a big step towards me enjoying winter, and exercise can also help boost the immune system. I first tried snowshoeing at Grandview Lodge in Nisswa, Minnesota in 2019 on a girl’s weekend.
Having my own snowshoes motivated me to get out and get active last winter, and I have to admit I enjoyed it. Being outside in nature has always brought me joy, so I was delighted to find a winter sport I enjoy. Witnessing the beauty of nature in winter was an added bonus, and something I used to miss out on. Getting some much-needed Vitamin D from the winter sunshine also helped boost my immune system and my mood.
Nutrition Is Key For A Well-Functioning Immune System
In addition to regular exercise, good nutrition helps keep your immune system function at it’s best. We try to limit sugar and processed food, and focus on eating a “real-food” diet consisting of organic vegetables and organic grass-fed meats, eggs and dairy. Despite trying out best to eat healthy, supplementing our diet with doTERRA’s Lifelong Vitality Supplements helps us get the nutrition we need.
Essential Oil To Support Your Immune System
Of course, essential oils take a spotlight when trying to keep our immune systems working well. A few of my favorites that we use daily are:
- OnGuard Essential Oil applied topically (to our feet, hands or spine)
- Melissa Essential Oil internally (a drop under our tongue)
- Frankincense & DDR Prime combined in a rollerball for topical use (apply to spine/back of neck)
- OnGuard Chewable Tablet (a tasty citrus chewable consisting of OnGuard essential oil, zinc, Vitamin D, Vitamin C and Beta Glucan)
- OnGuard Softgels (a blend of doTERRA On Guard Protective Blend with Black Pepper, Oregano, and Melissa essential oils — we take these whenever our immune system needs an extra boost for a few days).
- Oregano Essential Oil (if someone in our home has had an exposure to someone unwell, or we start to feel rundown, we put a drop of Oregano and a drop of OnGuard in a veggie capsule for internal use).
- Lemon Essential Oil (we drink this in our water throughout the day to help our body gently detoxify, which helps our immune system work better).
I hope these tips help you and your family to keep your immune systems working well this winter. New to essential oils and supplements? You can bundle some of these recommendations and save with this link. And, I hope you also find an outdoor sport or activity that you enjoy. Cheers to a healthy and fun 2021/2022 winter!
Hugs & Health – Michelle