It has become almost trendy to brag about how little sleep we can get by on in our busy lives, because it means we have more hours to be productive. However, sleep is necessary for our bodies to restore and rejuvenate and positively impacts our health in many ways. Did you know that your body is better able to lose weight if you get the proper amount of sleep? Sleep also affects your mood and wards off depression, regulates your hormones, boosts your immune system and helps your brain with memory and focus. Getting enough sleep will help you look and feel better!
Many Americans have trouble sleeping due to excess caffeine, stress, medications, busy schedules and screen time. The blue-light emitted from computers, phones and t.v. screens can impact your circadian rhythm and interrupt your normal sleep cycle.
There are many things we can do to improve our sleep and ensure we are getting enough. Things such as setting a regular sleep schedule, limiting caffeine, wearing blue-light blocking glasses, going outside in direct sunlight first thing in the morning, and adding a routine of relaxing essential oils can help! I will focus on the essential oils that can benefit you falling and staying asleep.
Essential Oils For Sleep
- Diffuse calming oils in your home two hours before going to bed to signal your brain that it’s time to start winding down. Some of my favorites to diffuse include: Lavender, Vetiver, Clary sage, Bergamot and/or Balance.
- Diffuse relaxing oils in your bedroom at night. I like the diffusers that run intermittently every 5 minutes for 10 hours to last the entire night (like doTERRA’s Petal, Lumo or Brevi diffusers).
My favorite combo to diffuse at night is Roman Chamomile, Copaiba and Vetiver. Roman Chamomile helps reduce stress and induce relaxation. Copaiba helps relax the body, and can naturally increase the body’s production of melatonin. Vetiver promotes a deep, restful night’s sleep, and is especially helpful for those who have trouble shutting off their minds or waken thinking of their tomorrow’s to-do list.
Other oils that can aid in a restful night’s sleep: Ylang Ylang, Clary Sage, Cedarwood, Balance, Bergamot, Frankincense, Melissa, Lavender and Serenity. Serenity is DoTERRA’s restful blend, and is synergistically designed to promote restful sleep.
- Take 1 or 2 Serenity soft-gels ½ hour before going to bed. Serenity soft-gels are a unique blend of
Lavender essential oil and herbs that help get you relaxed for sleep, and won’t leave you feeling groggy the next morning. A nurse friend of mine who works shifts claims this helps her sleep when she’s changing shifts, and doesn’t affect her circadian rhythm like melatonin does (making is safe to take for daytime sleep). You can purchase the Serenity Soft-gels AND essential oil in a discounted combo pack.
- Keep a rollerball of Serenity, Copaiba and Vetiver on your nightstand. In a 10 ml rollerball, combine 10 drops of Serenity, 10 drops of Copaiba and 7 drops of Vetiver and fill with FCO (fractionated coconut oil). Apply to the bottoms of the feet before bed, and if you awaken in the night.
- Spritz your pillow with Lavender or Serenity before going to sleep.
- If someone in your home is a snorer – add Breathe essential oil to your diffuser. Breathe helps keep airways open, which may prevent snoring. To make Breathe even more effective, apply to the bottoms of the feet (especially the big toe, a reflexology point). Combine Breathe with Lavender or Serenity in a rollerball to promote rest and prevent snoring. Add 10 drops of each oil to a 10 ml roller and fill with FCO. Rollerball blends are convenient to use and inexpensive.
Bundle & Save
- SLEEP WELL BUNDLE: $173 – Save over $40
- *Serenity Combo Pack (Serenity Oil & Softgel)
- *Copaiba Essential Oi
- *Vetiver Essential Oil
- *Fractionated Coconut Oil
- *6 -10 ml Roller Bottles
Link to Purchase: https://doterra.me/VI2li3Tm
Sleep Well – Michelle